Andrea Bernhard, MD
Dr. Bernhard became a physician in order to make a positive difference in people’s lives. Her goal is to treat every patient with respect and dignity, and to deliver the highest quality care. Dr. Bernhard has lived in Hawaii for 10 years, and even completed her residency at the University of Hawaii. In her own words, “I get to care for wonderful people in one of the most beautiful places in the world.”
What is ringworm?
Ringworm is an infection of the skin due to fungi. Different types of fungi could infect different areas of the body- the skin, nails, or hair.
How contagious is ringworm?
Ringworm is not contagious if you take the right precautions. If you happen to come in contact with a person who has ringworm, you are not likely to contract it as long as you wash your hands thoroughly soon after. How to cure ringworm is discussed later in this article.
How can you get ringworm?
- By not washing hands after touching a person who has the infection.
- By coming in contact with items that have been in contact with an infected person, like fabric, towels, clothes, bed linen or chairs and utensils.
- From animals such as dogs, cats, guinea pigs, and cattle, if they have fungal infections on their skin. Coming in contact with surfaces they may have touched is sufficient to transfer the fungal infection- fence, gate, even soil in rare cases.
Make an appointment with your vet if you suspect a pet may have the condition.
What are the symptoms of ringworm?
- A small area of skin turns red and starts to spread outwards.
- The affected skin develops into a rounded, red, inflamed patch.
- The outer edge is more inflamed and red. The center is paler. This causes it to look like a ring- hence the name.
- Sometimes only one patch of infection occurs, or there may be several patches all over the body (more so if you get it from an infected animal).
- The rash is likely to be inflamed and itchy.
How to cure ringworm
There are a variety of ways on how to cure ringworm. Such as:
Various types and brands of antifungal creams – like, clotrimazole and miconazole may be prescribed. They are quick and effective in clearing fungal skin infections. There is no conclusive research to suggest one cream is better than the other. Apply the cream over the affected area for as long as advised or as described on the label. This could be different for different creams. Read the instructions carefully.
If the infection is acute or widespread, oral antifungal medications may be prescribed. However, this is not suited for all people, including:
- Women who are pregnant or are breastfeeding.
- People with liver diseases.
- People at risk of heart failure.
- Those with a long-standing disease of the lungs.
- People over the age of 60.
- Persons taking other medication which may interact negatively with antifungal tablets.
- Young children.
General advice and tips:
- Keep the affected area clean and dry.
- Do not share towels or linen.
- Wash towels, sheets and clothes frequently using detergent.
- Clean your shower or bath well after use.
- Avoid scratching the rash or the affected area to prevent spreading to other areas of your body.
- You may attend work or school once treatment has commenced.
Have a pet that needs medical assistance? Telemedicine isn’t only for humans. Set up a telemedicine appointment for your pet using TelaPets and get quick help now!
Meet some of our doctors and experts
Here are some of the conditions we treat:
Here’s what people are saying
North Shore, Oahu
"I thought the whole process was pretty cool. To be able do this all on the phone instead of wasting an hour or two to see my doctor and wait all that time to speak with my doctor for only 5 minutes. The best part was I didn't feel rushed either during the video consult. The doctor really took her time speaking with me and more so than my regular doctor would have the time to do so with me.
This was so convenient for me and my family, especially since we are traveling and this saved me a trip to Urgent Care, who knows how long that could have taken. I appreciate how prompt the doctor and the staff were with contacting me.
This was so great for my Dad to use as he is visiting from another country and he doesnt have health insurance. For something as simple as an earache, we didn't have to spend so much money on a quick doctor's visit. Plus the doctor was able to help my Dad sooner than our scheduled appointment!
"Everything was very helpful from the initial call down the getting my prescription. I wish I could take this service back home with me to Canada!"
The whole experience was super fast! That was thee fastest appointment I have ever had, especially for something as simple as a prescription refill. Plus I had to pick my son up for school.
The fact that I was able to do all of this without getting out of my bed. From the time I made my appointment to hearing my prescription is ready, its been less than 1 hour.
Video consult was my favorite part. I've never done a telemedicine visit before and it was cool. I can really see this being great for people with busy schedules, not to mention there is nothing like this in Hawaii yet.
"Convenience from the comfort of your own home. Some times it can be a hassle getting out of house when you're already not feeling well to see your doctor, or even just to get a refill. But this is a very convenient service."
"Just being able to do it at home and ON TIME was great, because I didn't have to spend the time to commute and spend time in the waiting room to MAYBE see my doctor at my scheduled appointment time. The doctor called me as soon on the dot of my appointment time."
Waimea, Big Island
The best part was definitely seeing the doctor on the video call. It is comforting as a patient that there is a real doctor on the other end laying eyes on me and the symptoms I could be having.
Kona, Big Island
"The doctor was great and took his time explaining my symptoms and treatment! Actually the whole experience was fantastic! I can't believe how efficient you guys are. It hasn't even been 30 minutes and I've already been contacted by pharmacy that my prescription is ready. This was great. I would definitely use this service again and highly recommend to others!"
We're trusted by local individuals and organizations.